April is National Volunteer Month and people of all ages can become catalysts for change and make an impact that lasts a lifetime. Young people, especially, can benefit from volunteering and engaging in community service.
Giving Back Makes an Impact for Youth
Volunteering is a great way to get teens and young adults involved and make a difference. There are many benefits of volunteering, including developing new skills, building self-confidence, and making new friends.
“Volunteering can be a great way to explore interests and find out more about the causes you care about,” said Rasheda Kamaria Williams, founder and chief empowering officer for Empowered Flower Girl. “You can learn more about yourself and the world around you, while also helping others.”
From local schools, libraries, hospitals, and other nonprofit organizations – there are many different types of volunteering opportunities available for young people right in their communities.
“You can also get involved with national or international organizations that work on issues that you’re passionate about,” Rasheda added.
How to Get Involved
There are many ways for young people to get involved in volunteering opportunities. Here are a few ideas:
1. Check with your local community center, library, or recreation center. Many of these organizations offer volunteer opportunities for teens.
2. Contact your city or county government offices. Many cities and counties have programs that allow young people to volunteer in their community.
3. Look for volunteer opportunities at local schools or after-school programs. Many schools offer opportunities for students to help out in their community.
4. Ask family and friends if they know of any volunteering opportunities in your area. They may know of something that you didn’t know about!
5. Use the internet to search for volunteer opportunities in your area. There are many websites that list different types of volunteering opportunities.
By combining volunteer work with school-based activities, students can gain invaluable life experience while challenging themselves to do more good in their local communities. Not only does volunteering provide guidance for teens as they develop key skills such as communication and leadership – it also conveys an important message about helping others that will stay with them for life.
Empowered Flower Girl is a social enterprise on a mission to help transform the way young people relate to one another and themselves. Our ultimate goal is to help them live above life’s drama to make a powerful difference in the world. Each month, Empowered Flower Girl showcases young people giving back to their communities and the world through our She’s EmPOWERed program. We also host the Be the Impact Summit aimed at helping young people be strategic about community service. Learn more at www.empoweredflowergirl.com.