By Joyce Wilson
School breaks give your family a chance to spend time together and bond. Like many families, you may choose to plan a vacation; however, with the ongoing pandemic, many of the family vacation plans you love may no longer be available. This situation may leave you wondering how best to spend your vacation as a family.
Empowered Flower Girl suggests some indoor and outdoor family vacation activities, some COVID-safe travel options, and how to stay safe during your family vacation.
Indoor and Outdoor Family Vacation Activities
Regardless of your family size, there are many fun activities you can do as a family during your vacation. Here are a few suggestions:
- Do some gardening together as a family
- Play hide and seek
- Build a homemade treehouse or swing set
- Play mini-golf with the older children
- Consider attending dance classes together
- Go hiking or biking together
Family vacation indoor activities include:
- Playing board games
- Going to the gym
- Arranging indoor gardening activities
Family Vacation COVID-19 Safety Tips
Keeping your family safe during your vacation is a challenge this year due to the ongoing pandemic. According to federal experts, you can travel if you’re fully vaccinated, but you still need to take some precautions. They don’t recommend non-essential travel for unvaccinated people.
If you choose to travel for your family vacation, the following steps may lower travel-related risks.
- Ensure anyone you plan to visit has received the COVID-19 vaccine if they’re eligible.
- Check the COVID-19 community spread rates of the places you plan to visit.
- Make sure everyone you travel with wears a mask when you use public transportation.
- If you must fly, try to take direct flights.
- Pack extra sanitizers and masks.
Likewise, consider the following pandemic-friendly family vacation travel options.
- Limit interactions by staying at a private vacation home rental.
- Go for a socially distant family road trip in an RV.
- Go camping at a remote location.
- If possible, travel by car.
As you plan your family vacation, keep in mind that the pandemic is not over. Even if you take the proper precautions, traveling involves significant risk during this period.
Install a Fence Around Your Property
One of the most important safety measures during a family staycation is fencing around your property, and it’s best done by a contractor. Search for a fencing company nearby before selecting one and read customer reviews online.
Cost is among the important factors to consider when comparing contractors. The cost of installing a new fence can vary depending on materials used, fence size, and the location of the installation. As with all projects that require digging, safety is a priority. You should make sure that the contractor is aware of any underground utility lines on your property.
Have Fun and Stay Safe
The ongoing pandemic has limited the number of options available for family vacations, especially those that involve coming into contact with the public. Thankfully, there are still many activities that you can still do both indoors and outdoors, and the insights in this article will help you have a fun and safe family vacation.
Joyce Wilson is a retired teacher and enjoys sharing lesson plans, resources, and teaching tips on Teacher Spark. Her website is a compilation of practical resources that will inspire student engagement and instill a love for learning. By tapping into a student’s natural creativity and curiosity, Joyce believes that they can take their education to a new level.